As we head into December, a group will be continuing their voluntary work with ‘The Friends of Wollaton Park’. They are helping out with the restoration of the walled garden. They are carrying out various tasks such as clearing brambles, removing ivy, brick reclamation and much more! The end goal is to help bring the walled garden back to its former glory.
‘The Garden, built between 1783 and1788 had 12 foot high heated walls. They enclosed a 4 acre garden, which was used to grow a large variety of fruit and vegetables for the Middleton family and their staff. Next to it was the 75 foot long, Large Conservatory, and in front of that was an Herbaceous Garden, where the flowers for the Hall were grown. After the sale of the Hall and Park in 1924 the Walled Garden continued to be used by the Parks Department for growing plants for their flower beds around the City. In 1991 this process was moved to Woodthorpe and the Walled Garden was abandoned. Since then vegetation and vandals have taken their toll.
Find our more at http://www.spanglefish.com/wollatonhistorical/index.asp?pageid=695094 or follow the work on Twitter @FOWP_ and @wollatonhall